collage

collage

Receiving the Call

On July 24th, 2013 I sat on my front porch waiting for the mail. It was 12:00.
the mail didn't come until 4.

How was I supposed to wait that long?
Luckily, the 24th of July is Pioneer Day, and the mail came early! At 2:30, the 
mail woman drove to our mailbox. I was trying not to get my hopes up... but I was so anxious! I looked in the mailbox and saw a big white envelope! I started dancing around and couldn't even control my emotions! I immediately started to cry. 


Now I had to wait until 6 to open it! my heart would not calm down! I thought of all the places I could go.. I looked at all of everyone's guesses! Mostly in the States, Europe, some in Asia! I remember thinking at this point that it didn't matter where the Lord would send me. I just knew there was a place where I needed to be.
6 o'clock came and I was shaking. I had a few close friends and family over. We had my brothers on FaceTime. dumb summer sales. I'm not the type to cry in front of people, but as soon as I opened my call, I couldn't hold the tears back.


Dear Sister Manning:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the México Mérida Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, November 20, 2013.

Although NO ONE guessed Mexico, it did not feel like a surprise to me. I felt absolutely amazing after reading this. I knew that Mexico was right where I needed to be. I could not have been happier. The only thing I was sad about was that I had to wait 4 whole months to leave!